I don’t think the fact the World Cup is due to kick off on the 14th June could have been missed by anyone? even as someone who hates football (a complete let down for my dad) I can see the joy it brings people and enjoy the national pride it draws out.
We have seen major brands paying extortionate amounts to use the World Cup brand in their advertising. However that doesn’t stop you and your business engaging yourself? why not partake in some ambush marketing, here are a few ideas:
- Is your company multi-national/multi-lingual, show one of your companies unique features and encourage everyone to support their own country and have a office photo featuring the different countries in the World Cup.
- Engage staff in some friendly gambling and raise money for a local charity with a World Cup Sweep Stakes
- Engage customers and prospects with a “count the balls” competition and give away prizes or money to the winner
- Do you sell products that are related to sports or football as part of your product range. Create a collection and share product phones and links across your social media channels.
- Offer promotional discounts the further your home team get in the competition? First round: 10% Second round 20% this not only offers a bit of fun, but a time limited off — if they lose you get NO discount? “Do you want to play a game?”
- Do you run a shop selling food products? group together the Football Essentials, so people can grab everything they need in one hit. Why not throw in some flags!
- Annoyingly the football actually does disrupt business, so create staff an internal game timetable and avoid booking meetings, holding events or pushing promotions around these times, maybe share it with customers and prospects.
- Have a bake sale, decorate the cookies, cakes etc in the colours/flags of the different countries sell and raise money for your local charities
I’m not a fan of football, but i do enjoy the marketing around it and your business can benefit as much as major sponsors spending millions on sponsorship. So get into the spirit of the 2018 World Cup and raise the status of your business.